Black To The Future Voter Contact Field Director - Milwaukee
We are hiring Field Directors to work on our Voter Contact efforts to engage Black voters across Wisconsin. Our campaign aims to build Black political power by engaging voters early in this election year, centering issues most important to the Black community, educating and organizing around those issues, and building networks of informed, fired-up voters for the fall and beyond.
Field Directors will recruit, train, and manage a team of local canvassers to engage with voters in Black communities across Wisconsin. Additionally, the Lead Campaign Director will manage a team of two or more Deputy Directors, and will be responsible for building an office to scale from the ground up. This position reports to the Project Director.
Dates: This project starts 9/1/22 and ends 11/11/2022
Locations: Milwaukee, WI
Canvass Management Responsibilities:
- Manage a team of 6 - 10 canvassers, setting goals and holding staff accountable
- Train and provide ongoing motivation and support to staff
- Identify, promote, and train a leadership team
- Build a diverse team where staff feel respected, while fostering a culture of equity and justice
- Implement quality control measures to ensure integrity of the work
- Go in the field yourself a few days per week to engage with voters, train staff, and help drive office goals.
- Maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff
- Develop strategic plans to reach target voters/constituencies in assigned locations
- Manage administrative duties, including reporting data, record keeping, processing payroll, and distributing materials
- Strong management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire a team while also holding staff accountable to goals and expectations
- Can speak compellingly about campaign issues and strategy
- Willing and able to listen to staff and solve problems
- Committed to equity and inclusion
- Strong work ethic; able to persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks
- Attention to detail, ability to drive best practices critical for protecting the integrity of the registration process
- Flexible; ready for the unexpected and willing to adapt to last minute changes
- Eager to learn and open to feedback
- Basic tech competency (G-suite or microsoft office, smart phone or computer)
- Direct experience with the communities we will be engaging with
- Experience running paid canvasses or managing paid employees
- Experience running voter registration or petition signature-gathering efforts
- Passion for social change and activism
- Team building ability
- Attention to detail
- A track record of success meeting or exceeding goals
- Experience working in underserved or marginalized communities
- Facilitation experience
- Local knowledge/experience
Salary: The salary range for this position is $1125-$1423 per week. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, phone and data stipend, and hands-on training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement and bonuses.
Equity: If you are interested in this position but don’t think you qualify for everything, please don’t let that stop you from applying! At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion and believe our work is better when it benefits from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Who We Are
The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the progressive movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and campaigns—to build a future that’s fairer, greener, safer and more peaceful for everyone.
Our client list includes organizations like Democratic National Committee, Black Progressive Action Coalition, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Climate Action Campaign, Planned Parenthood, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, For our Future, Solar Rights Alliance, The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, and more.
Please note: We want to hire people of all gender identities. This hiring platform (JazzHR) does not allow us to add in specific options for gender identities outside of the binary, but we are currently working with them to find a solution.